Sunday, January 2, 2011

Movies

So, today my youngest and I went to the movies to see Little Fockers (it made us laugh :-).  And, anyone who knows me realizes that when I go to the movies I must have popcorn. Not popcorn that's been hidden in my purse and snuck in to the theater.  This has to be movie popcorn. With butter.  And fresh, not leftover from the night before and I don't mind making that clear.  But I digress. 

There are so many people that simply cannot go to the movies.  To enjoy the couple of hours of escapism that it provides.  For me, I tend to enjoy comedies, romantic comedies, action flicks and a good thriller.  I do not like horror movies or ones with a lot of gore.  I simply do not enjoy them so I'll leave them to those that do.  I've noticed that in the last 2 years I've spent more time, and enjoyable time, watching kids movies.  You know, the ones that are animated but the humor is more on the adult level (sometimes they can even make me cry.  Like the movie UP). 

It's not cheap to go to the movies, especially when you compare that to Red Box or Netflix, etc.  If you catch the first movie of the day, like we did today, it costs much less.  If you go after 6:00 PM then be prepared to pay over $ 10.00 to watch your movie and I just don't want to do that. I have, but I didn't like it!  Today we paid $ 5.50 per person as opposed to the $10.25 normal cost.  Doing this helped me justify my insatiable love of movie popcorn (as mentioned above). 

In this day and age, it's a must to be able to balance your joys with the costs.  I mean I still want to see movies, but since it's so expensive, now I'm more conscious of when, where and the potential cost.  And it sucks.  Let's be honest, it really does.  This kind of stuff is sucking the fun out of life, one bit at a time.  And just when I'm about to have a pity party at not being able to go to a movie I realize that I'm truly lucky. Especially when one thinks of how many people don't have this luxury, for whatever reason.  So I admit that I am grateful for movies (and all that they encompass), even if it does sound a little silly.

1 comment: